Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Poem: Innocence

INNOCENCE
Diane Dolphin 

You really little girled me,
freckled my face and bespectacled me,
shooed big people worries out of me.
With you I wore green space boots
and carried my days in a froggy face lunchbox.

I colored your mornings yellow,
sprinkled pink candy hearts in your coffee jar.
You wrestled fudge jumbles from my hand
to save until after a squash and peas dinner.

In darkness you held me,
two velvet-wrapped spoons
I listened to the heart sounds in my ears,
wondering how those sounds were made,

believing that beauty meant fireflies blinking
in dill-smelling pickle jars.

"Innocence" will appear soon in my new origami poetry book, Communion, through the Origami Poems Project. http://www.origamipoems.com/ 

Copyright 2010 Diane Dolphin. All rights reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment